Monday, December 19, 2011

The next hand-quilted project: The Naked Forest

This "Naked Forest" quilt already has a story. Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

I used a great tutorial from Film in the Fridge. Her work is always fresh & modern - it was a perfect choice for all of the green print fabrics I'd collected.

Once I completed this quilt top, I knew I wanted to hand-quilt it.

I sent it to Melear Fabrics to baste on their longarm quilting machine.

They shipped it back to me, but the address was read incorrectly by the postal service. It ended up three states away, sitting in a holding area. Fortunately, the folks at my local post office were able to track it down.

There were a few very uncertain weeks.... Luckily, it arrived 27 days after it was shipped, unharmed.

Here, you can see the black basting thread up-close.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

I started quilting it on Sunday, December 18, 2011. Today, I have 4 of 169 blocks quilted.

Let's see how long it takes for this to finish!

(If anyone wants to help the hand-stitching....)

details: 104x104, backing: Kona Tarragon, expected binding: Kona Basil Green, Batting: White Quilters Dream Request Loft W3K

Waverunner in Red

I saw this tutorial at Bumble Beans and knew I had to make it. This is for a good friend's TV room that is without color - until now. Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

The top came together pretty easily - in just two afternoons. The quilting and binding took less than a day. Improvisational piecing was more enjoyable than I thought it would be.

Not having straight lines is a little bit daunting. Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

I put a warm, fuzzy, light blue flannel on the back. You can't see this in the picture, but there's a light design on the binding fabric.

I really enjoyed working with all of the solids in this quilt!

Details: 60x80, flannel backing, 2.25in binding, grey quilting thread